Bat SoupFrom lor 8 years ago
- 3 - 4 fruit bats, well washed but neither skinned nor eviscerated shopping list
- water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. Finely sliced fresh ginger shopping list
- 1 LARGE onion, quartered shopping list
- garlic and lots of it !!! shopping list
- sea salt to taste shopping list
- Chopped scallions shopping list
- soy sauce and coconut milk / cream shopping list
- Note: Don't forget to click on the pic ;-) shopping list
How to make it
- Place the bats in a large kettle and add water to cover, ginger, onion, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 60 minutes.
- Strain broth into a second kettle.
- Take the bats, skin them and discard the skin.
- Remove meat from the bones and return meat, and any of the viscera you fancy, to the broth.
- Serve liberally sprinkled with scallions and further seasoned with soy sauce and/or coconut cream.
- Makes 4 servings.
- (From "The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook" by Jean Hewitt (c) 1971, Quadrangle Books, Inc. NY.
- NOTE: A final word about the Jean Hewitt cookbook. It is now out of print.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating21 people
Omg ...i would never eat it but some would i thought it was interesting tho thanks i have to rate it a 5 for interesting .lolminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
With a name like Bat Soup I had to look!
Ferricookinggood in Leesburg loved it
What can I say Lor? I am so honored:) LOLorangeskipper in Redding loved it