A Very Apple PieFrom chefmeow 7 years ago
- 11 ounce package pie crust mix shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 2 tablespoon apple jelly shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 2 cups apple cider shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 pounds tart cooking apples shopping list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Prepare crust according to directions and place bottom layer in a deep dish pie pan.
- In large skillet combine cider and sugar then bring to boiling stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Boil uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Pare and core apples then slice 1/4" thick then sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Add apples to cider mixture and return to a boil over moderate heat stirring several times.
- Lower heat then simmer uncovered 5 minutes until apple slices are partially cooked.
- With slotted spoon lift apples out of syrup and spread on bottom layer of pie crust.
- Return remaining syrup to boiling and boil uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Pour over apple slices and dot with butter.
- Cut 10 strips from top crust then arrange 5 strips across filling and press to edge of bottom crust.
- Place second 5 strips at right angle to first five to make a lattice.
- Press to edge of pastry.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water then brush over lattice but not on edge.
- Bake 40 minutes then remove to wire rack.
- Over low heat melt jelly then brush over apples and pastry.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
People Who Like This Dish 5
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
The Rating9 people
mmm...and a yummy crust!magali777 in Mexico loved it
Great as usual!!ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
Mmmmm, I bet apple cinnamon jelly would be good!!
Always a favorite!jett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!