Banana Napoleons With Warm Caramel Walnut SauceFrom liezel 7 years ago
- PUFF PASTRY: shopping list
- ============ shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 ml) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2,5 ml) shopping list
- 1 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes shopping list
- 1/2 cup ice water (125 ml) shopping list
- caramel walnut SAUCE: shopping list
- ====================== shopping list
- 3 ounces unsalted butter (6 tablespoons, 90 ml) shopping list
- 1 cup brown sugar (250 ml) shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 ml) shopping list
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (10 ml) shopping list
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped - not too finely shopping list
- CHANTILLY CREAM: shopping list
- ================ shopping list
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (250 ml) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (2,5 ml) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar shopping list
- OTHER: shopping list
- ====== shopping list
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced diagonally shopping list
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- PUFF PASTRY:
- Combine flour and salt on work surface and scatter butter over flour.
- Toss together until butter cubes are totally coated with flour.
- Shape mixture into a mound and for a well in the centre.
- Pour water into the well.
- With your fingertips, as though you were tossing salad, work the water into the flour based mixture until a rough dough start forming.
- It will look like torn and knotted rags.
- Gently press the dough together so that all the dry flour is absorbed.
- Form the dough into a rectangle.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an jour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out hte doug int a 7-by 16 i-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- With a short side of the rectangle facing you, fold down the top two-thirds toward you and the fold the bottom third over the top.
- This is a single turn.
- Give the dough a quarter turn so that the open seam is on your right and the closed seam is on your left.
- If necessary, lightly flour the work surface so the dough doesn't stick.
- Repeat the rolling and folding process, this is another single turn.
- Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Give the dough 2 more single turns, rolling and folding each time and making sure to give it a quater turn between the 2 turns so the open seam is on your right.
- Wrap an refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, rol out into a 16 by 9-inch rectangle about 1/16 inch thick.
- With the tines of a fork, make holes about 1/8 inch apart all over.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into twelve 4-by 3-inch rectangles.
- Place pastry on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1-inch apart.
- Place in freezer 30 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown at 375 deg F (190 deg C) for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in brown and granulated sugars.
- Cook, stirring frequently until sugars are melted.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove and stir in walnuts.
- CHANTILLY CREAM
- Put the cream, vanilla an sugar in a bowl.
- Whip on medium speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- The cram should hld it's shape but still be very smooth.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- In a bowl, gently stir together banana, lemon juice and rum.
- Place 1 pastry rectangle on each of 6 plates.
- Spoon some of the banabas on top of the pastry, then some chantilly cream.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over.
- Place a second pastry rectangle on top.
- Serve immediately.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookliezel Bloemfontein, ZA
The Rating7 people
OOOOOH!Sounds so good.Thanks for sharing.I never made my own puff pastry.Should be fun.:)Have a great morning.zanna in MOUNT CLEMENS loved it
This does look amazing! I can just see John's face when I put this in front of him!!!! Thanks!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Thanks Liezel for sharing an amazing dessert ,,,,,:}
can't wait to try it,,,,,,,my family will really be drooling over this one!!!!
have a blessed evening !
Mumtazmumtazcatering in Gauteng loved it