Mexican Pork n BeansFrom fishtrippin 8 years ago
- 1 lb pork shoulder shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 lb dry pinto beans shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 onion chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- 1-2 tsp. cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp. oregano leaf shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground clove shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped jalapeno or green chili pepper shopping list
- flour tortillas shopping list
- salsa shopping list
- shredded cheddar or monterey jack shopping list
- small amout of oil or fat for browning meat shopping list
How to make it
- Sort and rinse beans, cover with 6 cups cold water in a large heavy pot, add 1 tsp. salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil beans 2 minutes, turn off heat, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Cut pork into 1 inch cubes.toss with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown pork cubes on all sides.
- Add pork to beans, add small amount of water to skillet and stir to get the brown bits, add this to beans.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, clove to beans.
- Bring all to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook slowly for about 2 hours, stirring occassionally.
- Add chopped peppers and continue to cook until pork can be broken up with a fork and almost all liquid is aborbed. This will require more frequent stirring to prevent scorching.
- When done, should be the texture of refried beans.
- Serve on tortillas with salsa and cheese or whatever you like.
- Left overs are easily reheated in the microwave.
The Cookfishtrippin Estelline, SD
The Rating2 people
This really sounds fantastic! Thanks!frankieanne in Somewhere loved it
I've had this bookmarked since it was posted and I sure wish I had tried this before. These are some darn good beans! Thanks for posting this. Added my picture, too. A bit more in IMI
morefrankieanne in Somewhere loved it
Thankscookinggood in Leesburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!