Favorite SauerbratenFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 5 pounds round roast, trimmed shopping list
- 4 cups burgundy shopping list
- 1 lemon, juiced shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- pinch nutmeg shopping list
- 6 peppercorns shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 4 cloves shopping list
- 3 sprigs parsley shopping list
- 2 carrots, sliced shopping list
- 2 onions, quartered shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup shopping list
- 2/3 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs shopping list
- 1/2 cup burgundy shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 cup raisins shopping list
How to make it
- Marinate the roast for 3-4 days (I do it the full 4 days) in mixture of: burgundy, lemon juice, water, onion, nutmet, peppercorns, bayleaves, thyme, cloves and parsley.
- Remove meat from marinade and strain marinade. Set 2 cups of the reserved marinade aside. Dredge roast in flour and saute in a little oil in a dutch oven. Add the sliced carrots, quartered onions, ketchup and 1 cup of the reserved marinade.
- Cover and simmer 3-4 hours. Remove meat. Strain sauce and return to pot. Add: gingersnaps, sugar, 1/2 c. red wine, another cup of the reserved marinade and raisins. Bring to boil and cook until sauce is thickened.
- Serve with sweet and sour red cabbage, potato dumplings (mix is as good as homemade) or potato pancakes, and applesauce.
- NOTE 1: I sometimes stir a little sour cream into the sauce just before it is ready to serve. Makes it extra yummy.
- NOTE 2: Use Pamela's Spicy Ginger Cookies instead of gingersnaps and cornstarch in place of flour to make this GF.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating6 people
Wow! What an awesome heritage and recipe. I have just printed this so I can take to the store tomorrow and try with the potato dumplings. I will let you know the end result! Thank you for sharing!tnjazmyn in Manchester loved it
WOW IS RIGHT YUMMMMMMM TOO I LIKE IT .......minitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it