ArepasFrom sola 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl pour water add salt.Slowly add the cornmeal.Knead until smooth.Let dough sit for 3 minutes.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or heavy oven-proof non-stick pan with a tablespoon of oil.(pan should be very lightly oiled),on medium high.Turn heat down to medium.
- Scoop out a handful of dough.Cup hand and pass dough from one hand to another,rolling to form ball.Pass ball of dough between hands,flattening as you go back and forth.Lay dough on open part of hand,rounding edges,pressing center with heel of palm.Place on the hot skillet.Continue with remaining dough.Or cover with wet towel if dough is to sit for any length of time.
- Cook arepa on each side for 5-7 minutes.Place skillet in oven and cook arepas an additional 10-15 minutes.Keep checking after the first 5 minutes in oven.The arepas are done when tapped on both sides makes a hollow sound.You may need to turn them over in the oven once.
- Eat while still warm.
- The dough can be kept in fridge for up to 3 days tightly covered,so you can make them as needed.
- There are many variations on cooking and making arepas.Most only cook stovetop.But if you are new to them I suggest using the oven method to finish them.You dont want them overcooked & burnt on the outside and raw on the inside,and you also dont want them to dry out.The dough should be moist inside.
- Traditionally these are always buttered and then stuffed with mozzarella cheese.But you can put anything you want inside.I also like them for breakfast with butter and either real maple syrup or honey.And an egg sandwich would not be a bad thing either.
- These also freeze well, partly cooked in pan,then place cheese inside but must be thawed before putting on the griddle.
- I have halved the recipe and get about 2-3 arepas,good if only cooking for one person.
The Cooksola Charlotte, NC
The Rating6 people
These are proudly... very Colombian....... Thanks!berry in Winter Park loved it
I love arepas and these sound and love delicious. Thanks so much! ~Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!