Corn Pudding with Bacon White Cheddar and ChivesFrom arstielady 5 years ago
- 6 ounces (about 9 slices bacon) shopping list
- 3T vegetable oil shopping list
- 1C finely chopped onion shopping list
- 4 C corn kernels (about 7-8 ears) shopping list
- 2 t minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 t salt shopping list
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 C half & half shopping list
- 2 C shredded sharp white chedder cheese (8 oz divided) shopping list
- 1 T chopped fresh chives, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Arrange a rack at center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a shallow 2 quart oven to table baking dish.
- In a large heave skillet over medium heat saute the bacon until golden and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Coarsely chop the bacon and reserve.
- Pour off and discard all the bacon drippings, then add vegetable oil to the same skillet. Place skillet over ved-high heat. When oil is hot add onion and saute stirring until slightly softened about 2 minutes.
- Add corn and cook stirring until corn is lightly browned about 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute stirring 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in salt and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and half and half together until blended. Stir in corn mixture, reserved bacon and all but 1/3 C of the cheese. Mix well. Transfer to the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the pudding.
- Bake until a knife comes out clean and top is slightly brown 35-4o minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
- You can prepare this dish a day ahead and reheat uncovered in a 350 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes or longer. Sprinkle with chives and serve.