FABULOUS BREAD PUDDINGFrom bestcooker 7 years ago
- 8-10 slices of firm textured regular size bread (like Pepperidge Farm or Earth Grains) shopping list
- 1/4 cup raisins, dried cherries, or dried cranberries (craisins) shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 3/4 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- Slice bread into 1-inch cubes (DO NOT REMOVE CRUSTS!). Layer cubes in a buttered 8X8X2 square glass baking dish, arranging by hand so you get nice even layers (I get three layers of cubes). Sprinkle dried fruit over the bread cubes. Set aside.
- In a large measuring bowl (with a pouring spout, if you have one), lightly whisk eggs. Whisking continuously, add sugar, vanilla, milk, whipping cream, and cinnamon. Pour egg mixture evenly over top of bread cubes and fruit. Let sit 45-60 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed, occasionally pressing down gently with a fork.
- Heat oven to 325. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top starts to brown too quickly, LOOSELY cover with foil. Remove from oven and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or all day if you've made this first thing in the morning, as I often do) to allow for the absorption of any remaining liquid in the bottom of the pan. Cut into squares to serve. Garnish servings with topping of your choice, if desired.
- Note: Recipe is easily doubled to make in a 13X9 baking dish. A firm textured bread makes a nice, fuller bodied pudding than the airy, light textured bread.