SWEET AND SOUR MEATLOAFFrom bestcooker 8 years ago
- Meatloaf: shopping list
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (see note) shopping list
- about 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- about 3/4 cup ketchup shopping list
- 1 very small onion, chopped shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- one 8 ounce can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons regular yellow mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, oats, eggs, garlic, pepper, ketchup, and onion. Form into a loaf in a 9X5 meatloaf pan (a 9X5 loaf pan with a 9x5 insert that has holes in the bottom of it to allow any grease to drain). Bake about 1 hour.
- During the last 15 mins, combine tomato sauce, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugars dissolve. Bring to a boil. Be careful!!! Once it starts boiling, it tends to splatter and hot sugar hurts if it hits you and is terribly hard to clean off the stovetop. Reduce heat to lowest possible setting and keep warm, stirring occasionally. Pour JUST ENOUGH sauce over top of meatloaf and bake another 5 mins. Serve remaining sauce to pass with servings.
- Note: A mixture of half ground sirloin and half ground chuck makes a nice, moist, flavorful meatloaf. Even the leftovers (if there are any!) for sandwiches made a few days later are still moist and full of flavor. We especially like this served with smashed potatoes, buttered green beans, and homemade biscuits - comfort food at its best!
People Who Like This Dish 12
- CherylsCookingNow Nowhere, Us
- reviews Anycity, Anystate
- refugeesrecipelisting Global, CA
- shellyh430 Brunswick, OH
- maggi Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
- lilliancooks Long Island, NY
- raftermaid Jacksonville, NC
- fizzle3nat Waterville, WA
- mrswilliams Ventura, CA
- lobster NV, CA
- Plus 2 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookbestcooker NA
The Rating5 people
Mmmmm I have been making my meat loaf (old family recipe) for years, I think I need to change it up. This sounds really good. You like it served with exactly what we do - COMFORT food is right!justjakesmom in Everett loved it
This sounds really good! I'll be making this tomorrow!lilliancooks in Long Island loved it
I made these into meatballs! They were very good! I sprinkled them with salt, because it needed it. I also added a little more vinegar to the sauce to make it more sour. These are great for cocktail parties!lilliancooks in Long Island loved it