Coconut Rum Pineapple Roasted ChickenFrom crabhappychick 8 years ago
- 2/3 c. coconut shopping list
- 1 small can pineapple rings, juice reserved shopping list
- zest and juice of 1/2 lime shopping list
- 1/4 c. dark rum shopping list
- 2 T. cream of coconut shopping list
- 2 jalapenos, seeded shopping list
- 1/2 t. allspice shopping list
- 1 T. Janes's Crazy Mixed Up salt shopping list
- 1/2 t. onion powder shopping list
- LOTS of freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 6 lb. roasting chicken, rinsed and patted dry shopping list
- empty beer or Coke can shopping list
How to make it
- In a blender, combine coconut, pineapple slices, lime juice and zest, rum, cream of coconut, jalapenos, and spices. Process to paste consistency. Divide mixture into half - set half aside. Divide remaining half into half again (you'll have 1/2 the mixture, 1/4 and 1/4) and set aside.
- If using beer can, empty beer (using method of your choice!), and put 1/4 of the paste into empty can. Fill can to half full with more dark rum - of if you're opposed to wasting rum like that, you could use Coke.
- Run your hand between the skin and flesh of the chicken breast loosening all over - while being careful not to tear skin. (Good luck with this.) Take the bowl with 1/2 the paste and distribute it evenly between skin and flesh, rubbing it in as you go. Season cavity of chicken with Jane's Crazy Salt. Insert can into cavity of chicken and set upright on baking pan. Move those little legs forward to steady the chicken (especially with all the rum inside him now) and tuck the wings under so he looks like Red Skelton doing Healthcliff and Gertrude. (Yes, you must be old to know what I'm talking about!) Let marinade this way until its time to put him on the grill.
- Prepare grill or smoker (if using smoker, use apple or cherry chunks) and cook as you would normally cook a beer can chicken.
- Mix the reserved pineapple juice with the remaining 1/4 paste mixture and use to baste throughout the cooking time for a nice glaze.
People Who Like This Dish 13
- hot_it_up Columbiana, AL
- victoriaregina USA, VA
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- snowcat17 Milwaukee, WI
- lovebreezy Colorful, CO
- mark555 Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World, KS
- lincolntoot Freehold, NJ
- birdsnflowers Gaithersburg, MD
- juliecake Bluffdale, UT
- mamalou Attleboro, MA
- Plus 3 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating11 people
Yum is right. Great job my friend. This has to be fantastic. Love everything about it. Great post and a high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Wow i love coconut anything esp chicken, and the rum in it too yummmmmmmm thanks... linda..^5minitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
You are posting great chicken recipes!!!midgelet in Eastern loved it