Tyler Florences French Onion SoupFrom alliberries 8 years ago
- /2 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 4 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup red wine, about 1/2 bottle shopping list
- 3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 quarts beef broth shopping list
- 1 baguette, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 pound grated gruyere shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Now add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top.
People Who Like This Dish 11
- buschmeister Whittier, CA
- albys1 Broomall, Pennsylvania
- kquint Taunton, MA
- conner909 Whereabouts, Unknown
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- mamalou Attleboro, MA
- lycett CANYON COUNTRY, CA
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- kellyg72 Roseville, MN
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- Plus 1 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookalliberries Mansfield, MA
The Rating4 people
OH YES!!!! I LOVE FRENCH ONION SOUP THIS IS SUCH A GOOD ONE TOO THANKS ILL BE RIGHT OVER FOR LUNCH ILL BRING THE DRINKS AND DESSERT LOL LOLminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Love Tyler and You (Ali is my neice!)mamalou in Attleboro loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!