Tangerine Chiffon CakeFrom fizzle3nat 6 years ago
- CAKE: shopping list
- 4 tangerines or 3 navel oranges shopping list
- 2 1/4 c. cake flour shopping list
- 1 TBSP. baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil shopping list
- 5 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 2 large egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar shopping list
- GLAZE: shopping list
- 2 tangerines or 1 navel orange shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract shopping list
- CANDY DAFFODILS: shopping list
- 4 to 8 yellow fruit chews (depending on size), such as Laffy Taffy or Starburst shopping list
- 4 green fruit chews, such as Laffy Taffy or Tootsie roll shopping list
- 4 small orange spice drops shopping list
- 1 container (1 ounce) white nonpareils shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare Chiffon Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. From tangerines, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 3/4 cup juice. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup granulated sugar. Make a well in center. Add oil, egg yolks, and tangerine peel and juice; whisk into dry ingredients.
- In another large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat 7 egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, and beat until whites just stand in stiff peaks when beaters are lifted. With rubber spatula, gently fold one-third of whites into egg-yolk mixture to loosen the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan. Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Invert cake in pan on metal funnel or bottle; cool completely, about 2 hours. With knife, carefully loosen cake from side and center of pan. Remove cake from pan and place right side up on cake plate.
- Prepare Tangerine Glaze: From tangerines, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon juice. In small bowl, stir together confectioners? sugar, vanilla, tangerine peel, and 2 tablespoons tangerine juice until smooth, adding remaining teaspoon juice if necessary for good spreading consistency. Spoon glaze over cooled cake, spreading glaze with back of spoon and allowing glaze to run down sides of cake. Let stand until glaze is set, about 30 minutes. Decorate with Candy Daffodils.
- Candy Daffodils:
- For each daffodil, on waxed paper, with rolling pin, roll out yellow and green fruit chews to 1/8-inch thickness . (If too stiff to roll, warm candy in microwave on High 2 to 3 seconds to soften.) From 1 or 2 rolled yellow pieces, cut five 1 1/4-inch teardrop shapes. Pinch together wider end of each teardrop, creating fold of a petal, and slightly pinch narrow end, rounding to shape like a petal. Cut green piece into two or three 1 1/4-inch leaf shapes. Arrange petals, wide end toward center, to resemble flower; press together in center, using a drop of water, if necessary, to help petals stick together. Trim small piece from rounded end of spice drop. Cut out small piece from center of flat end of spice drop; sprinkle with some nonpareils . Press smaller end of spice drop into center of flower. Press green leaves to attach to back of flower. Repeat to make 4 daffodils in all. Do not refrigerate candy flowers.
People Who Like This Dish 9
- tupelohoney17 Las Vegas, NV
- gapeach55 Covington, GA
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- turtle66 Sacramento, CA
- jett2whit Union City, GA
- jeffsgirl Medford, OR
- agnesacobo Cagayan De Oro City, PH
- jrt_mom Metro Manila, PH
- katcooks Newport, OR
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookfizzle3nat Waterville, WA
The Rating8 people
How did I miss this one? Such a great flavor!jett2whit in Union City loved it
Had to grab this while I was visiting....looks mahvelous, Darling!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Gorgeous and really unique taste! High five!shepherdrescue in Lake Forest loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!