Pork Chili Verde For Hatch Chili SeasonFrom skystone 7 years ago
- 4 - 5 lbs pounds pork butt or shoulder or loin, cut into 2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup canola oil shopping list
- 3 onions, chopped (Texas sweet onions ok) shopping list
- 2 green bell peppers roughly chopped shopping list
- 4 Hatch chilies (roasted and skinned) or equivalent of canned Hatch chilies (must be Hatch) shopping list
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs pounds tomatillos, just peel off the husk and then quarter and put in blender process so still chunky shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1 Tbsp coriander, ground stuff okay shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped shopping list
- 4 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 avocados shopping list
- 1 pint Mexican crema (or sour cream if you must) shopping list
How to make it
- Add salt and pepper to flour, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup or so. Put the pork into the flour and coat lightly.
- Heat oil, and brown the pork on all sides. Remove from pan and put into a Dutch oven.
- Drain the oil from the frying pan and add the onions and peppers, cooking until onions are translucent, 5 mins or so.
- Add the hatch chilies and garlic and cook 2-3 mins. Pur this mixture into the Dutch oven, add the spices, cilantro and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 2 hrs or so, until the pork is tender.
- Serve over rice and top with avocado slices and crema.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookskystone Boerne, TX
The Rating4 people
Wow - this sounds great and I love Hatch chiles. Thanks so much for the inspiration!lunasea in Orlando loved it
Another Hatch Chile fan here. This sounds very tasty. Nice recipe!!! Jimjimrug1 in Peoria loved it
Oh my Lord! I do believe I will love this! Thanks for sharing
danadooley in Singapore loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!