Italian Wedding SoupFrom linspj 6 years ago
- 1/2 of a whole chicken. (Remove the skin before cooking.) shopping list
- 1-2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 bouillon cube shopping list
- 1-1-1/2 lbs escarole shopping list
- 1-2 carrots, diced into medium sized pieces. shopping list
- 2 stalks of celery, diced into medium sized pieces. shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- ½ pound 90% lean ground beef shopping list
- 1/3 cup grated cheese shopping list
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/3-1/2 pound of Acini di Pepe or orzo pasta. shopping list
How to make it
- Follow the steps below in sequence, as the timing of putting ingredients in the soup is important.
- In an 5-6 quart saucepan, boil half a chicken. (Remove the skin before cooking.)
- Cook for 1 ½-2 hours on low boil.
- Add 1 or 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper. As it is cooking, remove the foam from the liquid.
- Add 1 bouillon cube.
- When soup is done, remove chicken from liquid. Take meat off the bones and put into separate bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- For best results, refrigerate broth overnight and skim fat off the top before reheating. Before reheating, strain broth through a fine strainer.
- Clean and break into 2-inch pieces, 1 to 1 ½ pounds of escarole. Steam escarole to 90% doneness. If you cannot find escarole, use romaine lettuce.
- Scrape 1-2 carrots and dice into medium pieces.
- Dice 2 stalks of celery into medium sized pieces.
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely.
- These 3 ingredients and the escarole will be added to the broth after the chicken has thoroughly been cooked and broth strained.
- Prepare meatball mixture:
- ½ pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roll meatballs in ¾-inch diameter balls refrigerate until ready to cook soup.
- When ready to cook soup, in a separate 2-quart saucepan, cook about 1/3-1/2 pound of Acini di Pepe or orzo pasta. Cook to al dente.
- Add meatballs to broth. Cook at a simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken pieces, carrots, celery and onion. Simmer until vegetables are 90% done. Add escarole and let simmer until almost done. Add pasta and soup is ready to serve.
- Add grated cheese on top for additional flavor.
The Cooklinspj New Hartford, NY
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!