Minnesota Dirty RiceFrom lasaf 7 years ago
- 1 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups long grain white rice shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided shopping list
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided shopping list
- 1 lb. spicy pork sausage links, quarterd lengthwise and cut into cross into 1/2 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 6 green onions finely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pan over high heat, bring 5 cups of water to a boil and add wild rice. (I add chicken soup base.). Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and grains are split open, about 45-60 minutes. Drain off any excess water and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy 4 quart saucepan, over high heat, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add long grain rice and 1/2 tsp salt.(or soup base), cover tightly and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered and undisturbed, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, cover and reserve.
- Drain excess fat from skillet, return skillet to stove, reduce heat to moderatley high and heat remaining tablespoon vegetable oil untill hot but not smoking. Saut'e onions, red bell peppers and garlic, stirring occasionally, untill softened, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add black pepper, beans, 1/4 cup water and remainig teaspoon salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occaisionally, untill mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in sausage, cooked white rice, cooked wild rice and green onions, season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste and serve.
The Cooklasaf St. Paul, MN
The Rating5 people
Wow, this is actually quite similar to a paella, less the seafood. Love it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Sounds really good :)donman in Hammond loved it
Oh how I love dirty rice! Great post! Thanks for sharing. High-5!!meals4abby in Valders loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!