Algonquian Three Sisters RiceFrom siksikaboy 7 years ago
- 3 c. chicken stock or water shopping list
- 1 c. long grain brown or wild rice shopping list
- 1 pinch coarse salt to taste shopping list
- 1 medium yellow squash, cubed shopping list
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cubed shopping list
- 2 c. of baby lima beans shopping list
- 2 c. of whole-kernel corn shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into b; ite-sized strips shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted and cut into b; it-sized strips shopping list
- 1/4 c. sunflower seed or corn oil shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced shopping list
- 1 c. diced onion shopping list
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. paprika shopping list
How to make it
- Wild rice, yellow squash, zucchini and lima beans plus tons of other
- veggies make this rice dish extremely nutritious. It's also naturally low
- in sugar, so it's an excellent dish for diabetics.
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, bring the chicken stock or water to
- a rolling boil. Sprinkle in the rice and a pinch of salt, then lower the
- heat. Cover and steam for 20 minutes.Gradually add the squash, lima beans, peppers, and corn; stir well. Cover and steam for an additional 20 minutes.
- While this mixture cooks, warm the oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over
- medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, stirring briskly and cooking for
- about 5 minutes until garlic and onions are just glistening and
- translucent, but not brown.
- Add the remaining seasonings; stir thoroughly and remove from the heat.
- Stirring thoroughly, add these ingredients to the steaming rice and balance the seasonings and liquids. Steam for a final 5 minutes, covered. Fluff and serve.