Red Velvet cake w Cream Cheese FrostingFrom jkstern 7 years ago
- vegetable oil for the pans shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fine salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature shopping list
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature shopping list
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- cream cheese frosting, recipe follows shopping list
- Crushed pecans, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil and flour 3 (9 by 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Using a standing mixer or hand Mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
- Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans.
- Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart.
- Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans.
- One at a time, invert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let cool completely.
- Frost the cake. Place 1 layer, rounded-side down, in the middle of a rotating cake stand.
- Using a palette knife or offset spatula spread some of the cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake. (Spread enough frosting to make a 1/4 to 1/2-inch layer.)
- Carefully set another layer on top, rounded-side down, and repeat. Top with the remaining layer and cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting.
- Sprinkle the top with the pecans.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated.
- Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.)
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low.
- Add the vanilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy (scrape down the bowl occasionally).
- Store in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff, before using.
- May be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days.
The Cookjkstern Long Island City, NY
The Rating11 people
This was delicious! Thanks for sharing.dariana in loved it
YUM! I was making this cake for a friend to take with her on a weekend getaway, and I sampled a bit of the batter, just to make sure it was okay... I could have sucked it up with a straw!! Delicious! And, the icing... I am an icing recipe doubler, ...moreevsma in Powhatan loved it
WOW - this is decadent!sunny in Portland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!