Roasted Vegetable BaklavaFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1/2 cup walnuts (2 ounces), toasted shopping list
- 1/4 cup fine dry plain bread crumbs shopping list
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes shopping list
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, reserving fronds, bulbs halved and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- 3/4 pound parsnips (3 medium), sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick shopping list
- 1/2 pound carrots (3 medium), sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick shopping list
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced shopping list
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided shopping list
- 2/3 cup water shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped dill shopping list
- 8 (17-by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Pulse walnuts with bread crumbs in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped (not ground).
- Peel potatoes and slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Divide all vegetables between 2 large 4-sided sheet pans and toss each pan of vegetables with 3 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast vegetables, stirring and switching position of pans halfway through, until softened and golden brown in spots, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Leave oven on with 1 rack in middle.
- Add 1/3 cup water to each pan of vegetables and stir and scrape up brown bits from bottom.
- Chop 1/4 cup fennel fronds.
- Combine all vegetables in 1 pan and toss with fennel fronds and dill.
- Brush baking dish with some of remaining olive oil.
- Cover stack of phyllo sheets with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel.
- Keeping remaining phyllo covered and working quickly, place 1 sheet on a work surface, then gently brush with some oil and sprinkle with 2 rounded tablespoon walnut mixture.
- Place another phyllo sheet on top and repeat brushing and sprinkling.
- Top with a third sheet and brush with oil.
- Drape phyllo stack into one half of baking dish, gently pressing it into bottom and up side and leaving an overhang.
- Make another stack with 3 more phyllo sheets, more oil, and remaining walnut mixture.
- Drape into other half of dish (phyllo will overlap in center of dish).
- Spoon vegetables into phyllo shell.
- Fold overhang toward center over filling (it will not cover vegetables) and brush edge with oil.
- Brush remaining 2 sheets of phyllo with remaining oil, tear in half, crumple, and arrange on top of filling.
- Bake in middle of oven until phyllo is deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating6 people
Very labor-intensive dish but it sounds well worth the trouble and time, joan. 5.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
I love the roasted veggie baklava spin. Great post, Midge - thanks!lunasea in Orlando loved it
Love it, love it, love it!! High 5! (A bit of garlic would send it right over the top into a 6!!)This is on my must try list for sure.toleliz in Burlington loved it
Companys Coming115 members
Made With Phyllo50 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members
Feeding A Crowd39 members
Vegetarian Appetizers41 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members
International Baking67 members
Mediterranean Kitchens25 members
Vegetable Side Dishes58 members