Hop In JohnFrom notyourmomma 5 years ago
- 1 lb. of dried black eyed peas shopping list
- 2 smoked ham hocks or one meaty ham bone (great use of leftovers) shopping list
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves of minced garlic shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 cup of long grain rice shopping list
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with chile peppers, keep the juice shopping list
- 1 1/2 chopped bell pepper, red is prettiest for the holiday but I use green to economize shopping list
- 3 ribs of celery chopped shopping list
- 1 serrano pepper, minced, seeds and veins removed shopping list
- 2 teaspoons of favorite Cajon seasoning (The BAM man is my favorite) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 3/4 tsp of cumin shopping list
- 3/4 tsp of salt shopping list
- 4 green onions, diced, tops and all shopping list
How to make it
- In a large dutch oven combine the peas, your ham bone and 6 cups of water.
- Add one half of one of the onions along with 1 big tsp of the chopped garlic.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the ham bone and cut off the meat and dice.
- Drain the black-eyed peas.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to boil
- Add rice and cover and simmer until the rice is nearly done about 15 minutes.
- Mince the remaining onions/garlic and add to the rice along with peas, tomatoes, peppers, celery, seasoning, thyme, cumin and salt.
- Cook another 10 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir in chopped ham and diced green onions.
- Serve with additional Crystal Hot sauce on the side.
- Cracklin cornbread, collards are a must.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating4 people
YUM! I love collards, and I love pork!! HIGH FIVE! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
Great recipe! A must have, especially the cracklin cornbread. There is nothing like it!rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Hop on over and bring it on!! This stuff is good!!!jett2whit in Union City loved it