Good Luck Collard GreensFrom gagagrits 4 years ago
- 2 big bunches collard greens ( about 2 lbs) shopping list
- 4 c water shopping list
- 1/2 lb smoked turkey (the paper called for a smoked turkey leg, but I had a hard time removing the small bones after cookin) or can use any other smoked meat. shopping list
- 1 lg. onion choped shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 lg head of cabbage, cut in 8 wedges shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter shopping list
How to make it
- Cut stems and yellow leaves off collards and throw away.
- Clean collards GOOD
- Cut and soak in warm salted water for 10 min. drain and rinse with cold water
- In larg pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil add greens, and turkey.
- Add onions, salt, sugar, red pepper and black pepper.
- Bring back to boil.
- Turn down and simmer for at least 5 hours. Some cook the day before.
- During the last half hour add cabbage, and cook till tender.
The Cookgagagrits Irmo, SC
The Rating9 people
Okay. You got me curious to try collards with my blackeyed peas for New Years, Cook. I think its the cabbage that made the difference. Now....up here in the north will I even be able to find those collards at the Giant Eagle?!crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
OMG-my family and I have been on this collard green kick since this summer...I tried them for the first time and went crazy! I have been making them almost on a weekly basis,though I have never tried it w/cabbage.I will have to try yours out this wee...morehoosiermom68 in Merrillville loved it
Love the name of this recipe, and love the recipe too! Interesting addition of cabbage here! Added this to the "Crazy about greens" group.juels in Clayton loved it