Chicken Vegetable Soup with PastaFrom bluewaterandsand 5 years ago
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks and thighs shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, peeled - divided use shopping list
- 1 medium onion, quartered shopping list
- 1 celery rib, cut into 4 pieces shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 10 whole peppercorns shopping list
- 2 whole cloves shopping list
- 9 cups water shopping list
- 2 pounds swiss chard shopping list
- 1/2 cup pastina, (tiny pasta such as orzo or acini di peppe) shopping list
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Remove skin from drumsticks and thighs; discard skin.
- Take one of the carrots and cut into quarters. Place in a large pot
- with the chicken, onion, celery and salt.
- Tie bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth
- and add to pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 1¼ hours, or until chicken
- is tender.
- While the chicken cooks, chop remaining 2 carrots into ½-inch dice.
- Discard stems of chard and cut leaves crosswise into 3-inch strips.
- Set aside.
- Strain contents of pot; reserving stock (pour back into empty pot).
- Discard herb-filled cheesecloth. Puree vegetables in a blender and
- return to stock.
- When cool enough to handle, shred chicken and set aside.
- Bring stock and vegetable puree to a gentle boil.
- Add reserved chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chard and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add pastina and zucchini and cook until tender, about 8 mintues.
- Stir in reserved chicken. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
People Who Like This Dish 4
- jenniferbyrdez Kenner, LA
- chihuahua Sonoma County, USA
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- marky90 Dearborn, MI
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- celestialvortex Las Vegas, NV
- albys1 Broomall, Pennsylvania
- crazeecndn Edmonton, CA
- bluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookbluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
The Rating6 people
cant beat a great chicken soup i like the pasta in the soups anytime lol
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Wonderful, I love swiss chard-great addition for a fabulous soup! xomarky90 in Dearborn loved it
love chicken soup and love the Flavors in this thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!