Mustard-Glazed Beef Short RibsFrom gagagrits 7 years ago
- 6 pounds beef short ribs, on the bone, cut into 4 portions shopping list
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 celery stalk, chopped shopping list
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato paste shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- 3 cups low-sodium, beef broth shopping list
- Bouquet garni; All tied in a cheesecloth shopping list
- 3 sprigs rosemary shopping list
- 3 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 3 sprigs oregano shopping list
- 1/2 cup Pommery mustard shopping list
- 1/2 cup honey shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Pour the oil into a wide, deep-sided saute' pan and heat it over medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, add them to the pan, and brown them all over, approximately minutes per side. Transfer the ribs to a large casserole or roasting pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery to the saute' pan and cook for 5 minutes to lightly caramelize them. Add the jalapeno,garlic, tomato paste, wine, and broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a rapid boil, then pour it over the ribs in the casserole. The liquid should not rise more than two-thirds up the side of the ribs, the ribs should not be entirely submerged. If you have extra liquid maybe your casserole is too small and the ribs are too lightly packed; try dividing the ribs and liquid among 2 casseroles.
- Put the casserole in the oven, add the bouquet garni, and braise the ribs approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours. pierce the ribs with the tines of a fork; if cooked enough, the fork will meet no resistance.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring the ribs to plate or platter. Degrease the braising liquid, strain it, discard the solids, and reduce and reserve the juices for serving, The short ribs can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for 1 to 3 days. Let come to room temperature before proceeding.
- Prepare an outdoor grill with a drip pan to prevent-flare ups or preheat the oven to350 F
- Combine the mustard and honey in a bowl and liberally brush over the ribs. Grill or cook the ribs in the oven for 10 minutes, turning often until the glaze is caramelized, dark and delicious. If grilling, brush on more glaze as the ribs cook.
- Serve the ribs family-style, passing the reduced braising liquid alongside in a sauce boat.
The Cookgagagrits Irmo, SC
The Rating5 people
Absolutely! Thanks! ^5, gaga,
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
Perfect recipe for this COLD weather! I'll be making these for Sunday dinner - printing it out right NOW! Thanks.crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
Very nice combo of spices and herbs here! This recipe cannot possibly be bad! Thanks for sharing this, sounds very tasty!juels in Clayton loved it