Haydels Bakerys King Cake RecipeFrom dmajor 8 years ago
- Dough shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- ½ cup all purpose shortening shopping list
- 4 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 lg. eggs shopping list
- 1 cup milk (room temperature) shopping list
- 2 sm. packs active dry yeast shopping list
- ¼ tsp lemon flavor shopping list
- ¼ tsp orange flavor shopping list
- ¼ tsp vanilla flavor shopping list
- ¼ tsp butter flavor shopping list
- ½ cup canola oil shopping list
- ½ cup cinnamon sugar shopping list
- Colored sugar shopping list
- 3 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp purple food color shopping list
- 1 tsp yellow food color shopping list
- 1 tsp green food color shopping list
How to make it
- In a mixer at first speed combine 1/3 cup granulated sugar, salt, and shortening until well creamed.
- Add eggs and continue to cream.
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and add the flavors.
- Once dissolved add to creamed mixture and continue to mix.
- Add flour and mix until dough tightens.
- Remove from mixer and kneed into a ball.
- At this point sprinkle some flour on top and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1½ hours
- While the dough is resting mix your colored sugars.
- Start by taking one cup of sugar and your yellow food coloring.
- Mix by hand with a wire wisk in a metal bowl until the sugar turns yellow.
- Pour you yellow sugar into a separate bowl and put off to the side.
- Repeat this process mixing green then purple. (By doing them in that order you only dirty one mixingbowl)
- When dough has rested roll out into an oblong piece.
- Brush on canola oil covering the entire piece.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar liberally over the whole piece.
- Once the dough is covered with the cinnamon sugar and oil, fold it in half lengthwise.
- Cut into 3 strips and braid the dough.
- Gently roll the dough by starting at one end and working all the way down to the other end.
- This will make the dough a nice long piece that can then be shaped into a circle.
- Once shaped place on a baking pan covered with piece of parchment.
- Allow the dough to rest again until it doubles in size.
- At this point take a spoon and alternate sprinkling the three colored sugars on top of your circular piece of dough.
- Bake at 370 degrees F for 12-15 minutes until dough is golden brown. Then laissez les bon temps rouler
- This recipe did not include a glaze for the top which I love!
The Cookdmajor Slidell, LA
The Rating9 people
Thanks, Deb...I never knew too much about King Cakes, and really enjoyed reading this! Very interesting and informative...=)debbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
Thanks for the history lesson....:)gagagrits in Irmo loved it
A friend once told me the story about the king cake baby...very interesting. I love the texture of this cake. Thanks for posting all of the info.jett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!