Chicken Rice Casserole with MozzarellaFrom grizzlybear 7 years ago
- 2 teaspoons olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 clove minced garlic shopping list
- 1-1/2 medium red bell peppers, diced shopping list
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed shopping list
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons non-fat sour cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard shopping list
- 8 ounces skinless, diced cooked chicken or smoked turkey shopping list
- 3 ounces part skim milk mozzarella cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, corn 1/4 cup of the broth, the thyme and black pepper, and continue cooking until the bell pepper begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup broth, the rice, sour cream, and mustard. Add the chicken, remove from the heat, and stir until well combined. Stir in one-third of the mozzarella and the parsley.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole. Spread the mixture evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese has melted.
- Microwave Shortcuts:
- In a 2-quart microwave safe casserole, combine the oil, onion, garlic and bell peppers. Cover and cook at high for 4 minutes, or until the peppers and onion begin to soften. Stir in the corn, 1/2 cup of the broth, the thyme, black pepper, rice, sour cream, mustard, and chicken. Stir in one-third of the mozzarella and the parsley. Re-cover and cook at high for 7 minutes, stirring once. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cook at high for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- Serving Suggestion: Slice tomatoes and sprinkle them liberally with fresh basil. For dessert, serve crisp almond biscotti with freshly brewed coffee.
- Each serving provides: 1/2 fat, 3 proteins, 1/2 vegetable (adjusted to new program), 1-1/2 breads, 20 optional calories.
- Nutrition Information:
- Values are approximate per serving: 378 calories, 28 g protein, 12 g fat, 39 g carbohydrate, 63 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating5 people
This sounds yummy too! Love chicken and rice.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
I LOVE CHICKEN N RICE !!!! YUMMY
THANKS GRIZZ ........ Another bear watcher approved recipe...;-) LOL LOL
TINKminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!