Judys Stuffed Chicken BreastsFrom linda2230 6 years ago
- 3 lbs chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened. (Please refer to the picture that I provided for an example) shopping list
- 2 lg shallots shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves shopping list
- 6 slices of prosciutto, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/3 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped (use less if using dried thyme) shopping list
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (use less if using dried oregano) shopping list
- 3 tblsps chopped parsley shopping list
- 3 tblsps chopped basil shopping list
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 cup Fontina cheese shopping list
- 2 small vine sweet mini peppers, chopped shopping list
- 1 box chopped frozen spinach (squeeze out all liquid through a paper towel or cheese cloth). You can use fresh as well if you like. shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- garlic powder shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 tblsps unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 8 oz. box of white buttom mushrooms sliced shopping list
How to make it
- In a deep frying pan that has been heated coat the bottom with the olive oil and 1 tblsp. butter. Add the prosciutto and sautee' for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the shallots and sautee' for about 4 minutes and then the chopped garlic. and sautee' for about 1 minute
- Next add the following: chopped sage, thyme and oregano, salt and pepper and sautee' for about 1 minute then add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to deglaze the pan and continue to cook on medium low heat for about 15 minutes. Next stir in the chopped parsley and basil and immediately remove from the heat.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the bread crumbs. Then add the grated fontina cheese, chopped peppers, the chili flakes and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth to the stuffing mixture, enough to make sure that your stuffing is moist. (Please refer to my picture for an example). Set your stuffing aside and let completely cool. I put my stuffing in the refrigerator while I prepared the chicken breasts.
- This is when I actually flattened the chicken breasts myself (you refer to the photo that I provided; however prior to flattening them, remove the tenders, this is the bonus part to the chicken breasts that you can use for another recipe, (smile). I used the flat side of the mallet even though the picutre shows the spiked side). (smile) Now season the inside of the flatten chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Now you can get your chilled stuffing mixture and get ready to roll. If you used fresh spinach leaves then layer several leaves on first. If you used the frozen chopped spinach (after squeezing out all of the liquid), add about 1 tblsp. of the spinach to the chicken breast first and then 1 tblsp. of the stuffing, then roll up carefully and secure with a couple of toothpicks. After all of the breasts have been filled and rolled, season the outside of the roll with salt, pepper and garlic powder. You will have dressing left over and you will be using some of it later. :o)
- Reheat the pan you sauteed your vegetables in for the stuffing and coat with the oilve oil and another tblsp of unsalted butter.
- Brown the rolled chicken breasts on all sides to seal in the juices. Once browned on all sides, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining chicken broth to deglaze the pan, add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Add about an ice cream scoop of the left over dressing to the pan, stir to thoroughly mix and it will make a nice gravy. Next add the chicken breasts back to the pan and simmer on low to medium heat for about 30 minutes. At this point if you need to prepare other side dishes you can remove the pan from the stove top, cover it and put in a 300 degree preheated oven to keep warm. Or, you can do what I did and transfer everything into a large lasagna type baking dish, cover with foil and put in the oven until you are ready to serve. The chicken will be so moist and full of flavor because the herbs and spices continue to intensify.
The Cooklinda2230 Las Vegas, NV
The Rating9 people
Judy hon - you have a total winner here! I love everything about it. The herb combo, the moist veggie-spinach-breadcrumb-proscuitto-fontina (*swoon*) stuffing - wow! How elegant and delicious. I love your side suggestions of red lentils and salad...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
Your photos are gorgeous, Judy - lordy, they do make me SO hungry. Flagged you for beauty, too. Great job!! :)lunasea in Orlando loved it
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it