Smothered Pork Chops and CabbageFrom lacrenshaw 7 years ago
- 6 1/2" thick pork chops shopping list
- 2 heads coarsely sliced cabbage shopping list
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil shopping list
- 2 cups onion, diced shopping list
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, finely minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried parsley shopping list
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Season chops with salt and pepper and brown in oil in large Dutch oven.
- Remove chops.
- Put onions in the pot with 1/4 cup water.
- Scrape bottom of pot to release any browned bits.
- The onions need to be caramelized to mahogany finish, 30 - 40 minutes.
- When onions are ready add garlic, black pepper,salt and parsley.
- Mix thoroughly and cook until you smell the garlic, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water.
- Put 1 1/2 heads sliced cabbage into pot but DO NOT STIR.
- Place chops on top of cabbage, turn heat to medium low and cover pot.
- Allow cabbage and chops to "smother" for about 20 minutes.
- Open the lid, stir and add the remaining 1/2 head of cabbage.
- There should be a rapidly boiling 1 to 2" of juice at the bottom of the pot.
- Add water is necessary.
- Replace the lid and "smother" 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Stir cabbage and pork, cover and smother another 15 minutes.
- Taste cabbage and adjust seasonings to taste.
- The first cabbage in should be wilted but not mushy.
- The second cabbage should be cooked but still have texture.
- Turn off the heat.
- The cabbage will continue to cook so err on the side of under-cooking it.
- Serve the cabbage and its juices over steamed rice.
- Serve chops to the side.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating6 people
I love cabbage and this sounds great saving this one =Daussie_meat_pie in My Kitchen loved it
I love your recipes!chichimonkeyface in Albany loved it
This sounds fantastic! I love pork and cabbage together.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it