Classic Beef BrothFrom chefelaine 6 years ago
- 5 lb beef shank, chuck, oxtail, short ribs, or mixed trimmings, or a mixture of these shopping list
- 1 1/2 fl oz vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 gal water, beef stock, or remouillage shopping list
- 1/2 lb onion chopped, for mirepoix shopping list
- 4 oz carrots chopped, for mirepoix shopping list
- 4 oz celery chopped, for mirepoix shopping list
- 4 oz tomatoes canned or fresh shopping list
- 1/2 Bay leaf for sachet shopping list
- 1/8th tsp Dried thyme for sachet shopping list
- 1/8th tsp peppercorns for sachet shopping list
- 3 parsley stems 6-8 stems, for sachet shopping list
- 1 whole cloves for sachet shopping list
- to taste salt shopping list
- as desired Meat, vegetables, or other garnish for soup shopping list
How to make it
- In a stockpot, brown the beef in 2 fl oz vegetable oil.
- Add the water or stock and bring to a simmer.
- Skim the surface to remove any froth or scum.
- Continue to simmer for 2 hours.
- Brown the mirepoix in 1 fl oz oil.
- Add the mirepoix and the tomatoes to the stockpot.
- With a little water, deglaze the pan used to brown the mirepoix and add the liquid to the stock pot.
- Continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add the sachet. Simmer an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Strain the broth.
- Discard the sachet, vegetables, and any unusable meat trimmings.
- Reserve any good cuts of meat for garnishing the broth or another use.
- For serving as a soup, season and garnish to taste.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating7 people
yep sounds like delicous soup to me thanks great postmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
great recipe...good to have in the freezer...^5peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Good flavor. Used neck bones.
See Classic Beef Broth for more.
12/20/13pointsevenout in Athens loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!