Chicken Chimichangas With Jalapeno Havarti And Chipotle GuacamoleFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 2 cups for shallow frying shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced white onion shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder shopping list
- 1 pound roasted chicken meat, shredded while warm shopping list
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped mild green chiles, drained shopping list
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed shopping list
- 1 cup shredded jalapeno Havarti cheese shopping list
- sour cream and fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- Chipotle Gaucamole: shopping list
- 3 ripe avocados shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomatoes (seeds removed) shopping list
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onions shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic shopping list
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder shopping list
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves shopping list
- kosher salt, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, chipotle and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the green chiles. Cook mixture for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Set aside and cool slightly.
- One at a time, place the tortillas on a work surface, keeping the remaining tortillas covered with a damp towel. (For pliable tortillas, sprinkle lightly with 1/4 teaspoon water and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 10 to 20 seconds just before ready to stuff, and keep covered until ready to roll.)
- Spread 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in a rectangle in the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of cheese (we like lots o' cheese!). Fold the bottom of the tortilla over the filling and then fold the sides over. Fold the top of the tortilla over the folded sides and secure the sides with wooden toothpicks. Place folded side down.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil to 350 degrees F. Using tongs, lower the chimichangas folded side down, 1 at a time into the hot oil. (It is helpful to hold the chimichanga with the tongs until it has "sealed" together.) Cook until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and continue with remaining chimichangas.
- For Guacamole:
- Mash avocados and combine with tomatoes, onions, garlic, lime juice, chopped peppers and cilantro in a medium bowl. Season with salt. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve:
- Remove toothpicks from the chimichangas, cut in half and serve immediately with Chipotle guacamole, sour cream, and fresh cilantro.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating8 people
Thanks, Luisa! Another winner from you.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
yum... my husband will love these...^5peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Jalepeno havarti cheese? Wow I have got to try these.-Lorilasaf in St. Paul loved it