Indian Curry From ScratchFrom dmiller64116 7 years ago
- Whole spice Blend (Optional) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks (3-inches) shopping list
- 4 whole cloves shopping list
- 4 green cardamom pods shopping list
- 8 black peppercorns shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- curry shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil ( or canola oil) shopping list
- 1 medium onion , sliced thin shopping list
- 4 large cloves garlic , pureed in a minichopper with 1 tablespoon water (about 2 tablespoons) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , pureed in a minichopper with 1-2 teaspoons water shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin or boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes, or 6 chicken thighs, skinned, or 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- table salt shopping list
- 3 plum tomatoes (canned), chopped, plus 1 tablespoon juice, or 2/3 cup crushed tomato, or 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt shopping list
- 2 bunches spinach (1 1/2 pounds), stemmed, thoroughly washed, and chopped coarse (optional) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional) shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 jalapeño chile , stemmed and cut in half through the stem end shopping list
- 1/2 cup Indian split peas (channa dal), or 4 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes, or 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, or 1 cup green peas shopping list
- 2 - 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (use the lesser amount if you've already added the optional cilantro) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat oil in large deep skillet or soup kettle, preferably nonstick, over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking. If using whole spice blend, add to oil and cook, stirring with wooden spoon until cinnamon stick unfurls and cloves pop, about 5 seconds. If omitting whole spice blend, simply add onion to skillet; sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes, or browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 2. Stir in garlic, ginger, selected meat (except shrimp), ground spices, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and tomatoes or yogurt; cook, stirring almost constantly, until liquid evaporates, oil separates and turns orange, and spices begin to fry, 5 to 7 minutes, depending on skillet or kettle size. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until spices smell cooked, about 30 seconds longer.
- 3. Stir in optional spinach and/or cilantro. Add the water and jalapeño and season with salt; bring to simmer. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, 20 to 30 minutes for chicken, 30 to 40 minutes for beef or lamb.
- 4. Add selected vegetable (except green peas); cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Add shrimp and/or peas if using. Simmer 3 minutes longer and serve.
The Cookdmiller64116 Kansas City, MO
The Rating4 people
love it!!!!foyboy77 in Fife loved it
If I can get all of these ingredients on the bench at one time, I'll be happy as ever. I can't wait to smell the aroma from this recipe. It sounds magic. Thanks.trev in Bogangar loved it
Wow, wow, WOW! I have to try this! 5's from me!darksideofthespoon in Timmins loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!