Butterscotch Meringue PieFrom zena824 8 years ago
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter shopping list
- 2 eggs, separated shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 8 or 9 inch pie shell shopping list
How to make it
- Combine first 4 ingredients in top of double boiler; add milk and butter, stirring well.
- Cook over boiling water , stirring constantly, until thickened (about 30 min)
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir ia small amount of hot mixture into yolks; stir yolks into remaining hot mixutre.
- Cover; cook 15 minutes over boiling water, stirring frequently.
- Remove from water; stir in vanilla.
- Cool; pour into pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until foamy in a small mixing bowl.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over pie; seal edges good.
- Bake for 425 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or lightly browned.
- Refrigerate pie until chilled.