Beef Shank Veggie SoupFrom victoriaregina 7 years ago
- 4-5 1 inch thick beef shanks shopping list
- oil shopping list
- 5 tbsp seasoned flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup madiera (optional) shopping list
- 2 qts water shopping list
- 6 hearts of celery stalks shopping list
- 1 box chicken broth shopping list
- 1 box beef broth shopping list
- 1 tsp ground dill shopping list
- 8-10 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter buds shopping list
- 1 tsp ground white pepper shopping list
- 1 bunch carrots washed and chunked 1" pieces shopping list
- 1 chunked onion shopping list
- 3/4 bag Barilla orzo shopping list
How to make it
- Dredge shanks in seasoned flour.
- In a pressure cooker, heat for a few minutes and add a bit of oil.
- Brown shanks quickly
- Add wine and deglaze
- Add broths veggies and flavorings including butter buds
- Cover and bring to boil (when steam starts)
- Lower and cook for 60 minutes or so
- Turn off and place on a cool burner
- After 10 minutes de-pressurize cooker under cold water and when you are sure all steam is out, remove lid.
- Strain into colander over clean soup pot and bring broth to boil add orzo following the cooking directions.
- Remove marrow from bones and cut meat, carrots and onion into fairly uniform pieces. Heat marrow and mix with bread crumbs to form small balls dropping into orzo/broth when boiling. They will rise to the top.
- When orzo is done, remove from heat, replace meat carrots onion and garlic.
- Allow to cool and then cover and refrigerate.
People Who Like This Dish 2
The Cookvictoriaregina USA, VA
The Rating14 people
Wonderful soup recipe Vickie! I don't like soupy soups either and my mother was the same. Looks like we both like those hearty soups ;) This is a soup that I know my family and I will thoroughly enjoy. HIGH 5++++++lor in Toronto loved it
I learned to make our veggie beef soup from my mom using leftover potroast. It was always so thick with veggies, you could use a fork "just like that canned soup company claimed". My kind of soup...I think the orzo is great, we used rice...and th...morenotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
YUM!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it