Stir Fried Kai Lan with Scallops and ShrimpFrom simcooks 7 years ago
- 5 scallops, washed and pat dry shopping list
- 3 medium-sized shrimp, shelled, deveined (keep the heads and shells to make broth) shopping list
- 6 stalks Kai Lan (outer “skin” lightly scraped off, stems cut on the bias) shopping list
- 1 stalk scallions, cut into 2 inch length shopping list
- 1 slice ginger shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, smashed shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cornflour shopping list
- water shopping list
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce shopping list
- 1 tbsp rice wine shopping list
- cornflour solution (1/2 tsp corn flour dissolved in water) shopping list
How to make it
- To make shrimp broth, add shrimp heads and shells to 1 cup water. Add 1 stalk scallions, 1 slice ginger, 1/4 tsp salt. Allow to boil for 10 minutes then switch to lower heat to simmer while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Season scallops with salt and white pepper. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in wok. Sear each side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
- Season shrimp with salt, white pepper and corn flour. Add shrimp to wok. Add oil if necessary. Use spatula to remove the brown bits left by the scallops. Stir fry shrimp and let the shrimp pick up the brown bits. When cooked, set shrimp aside (same plate as scallops) and leave garlic in wok.
- Add Kai Lan stems to wok and stir fry for a minute or so, then add the leaves. Stir fry for another minute or so until leaves wilt, then add shrimp stock, oyster sauce, and rice wine. Mix well.
- Create some space in the center of wok. Slowly add corn flour solution to thicken gravy to desired thickness. Stir gravy well to see the consistency.
- To serve, plate kailan, then arrange scallops and shrimp. Best eaten with plain white rice.
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cooksimcooks Bay Area, CA
The Rating3 people
Nice combo. A different treat. Thanks. RJelgourmand in Apia loved it
How can I miss this one? A traditional chinese recipe. Very nice!kidaria in BC loved it
This looks SOOO good. They say you eat with your eyes first and I am having a feast! I really dont know what Kai Lan is. Could you help out?borius in Klamath Falls loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!