Fresh Orange Curd Italian Cream CakeFrom victoriaregina 5 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 5 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut shopping list
- Fresh orange Curd shopping list
- 3 cups Pecan-cream cheese frosting shopping list
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (optional) shopping list
- glazed pecan halves (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until blended.
- Combine flour and soda; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in 1 cup flaked coconut.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread 3/4 cup chilled Fresh Orange Curd between layers; spread remaining Fresh Orange Curd on top of cake. (The Fresh Orange Curd layer on top of cake will be very thick.) If desired, loosely cover cake, and chill 8 hours. (Chilling the cake with the curd between the layers helps keep the layers in place and makes it much easier to spread the frosting.) Spread 3 cups Pecan-Cream Cheese Frosting on sides of cake, reserving remaining frosting for another use. Sprinkle 1/2 cup toasted coconut over top of cake. Arrange Glazed Pecan Halves around top edge of cake. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Arrange Boxwood Garland around bottom edge of cake before serving, if desired.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookvictoriaregina USA, VA
The Rating14 people
Love this! 5 Forks for sure! =)pinkpasta in Upstate loved it
love this one it is beautiful too thank youminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
oh my, wonderful!midgelet in Eastern loved it
Italian Group93 members
The Holiday Dessert Table124 members
Checkin Central283 members
Companys Coming115 members
Cakes Of Any Type142 members
Christmas Is Coming55 members
Dessert Paradise45 members
Holiday S Fare Thanksgiving And Christmas19 members