Smoky Mushroom Bread Pudding With Wisconsin CheesesFrom peetabear 7 years ago
- 8 slices firm textured bread, not sourdough shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped unevenly shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried (powdered) mustard shopping list
- Dash hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco™ shopping list
- 3 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded Wisconsin smoked cheddar cheese shopping list
- 4 slices (3 ounces) diced Wisconsin American processed cheese shopping list
- 1/2 cup Wisconsin parmesan cheese, shredded or grated shopping list
How to make it
- Trim the crusts from the bread and place half the slices in an oblong baking dish, about 10 inches in length. Cut the bread to cover the bottom of the casserole. Reserve remaining slices.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a deep, large skillet and add the onion. Crumble the oregano and thyme over the onion and mix. Cook the onion over low/medium heat until it is soft, about 12 minutes. Add the remaining butter and mushrooms. Stir so the mushrooms are coated. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, dried mustard, hot pepper sauce and eggs. Stir in green onions. In another bowl, mix the cheeses.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the bread in the casserole. Layer with half the cheese. Place remaining bread slices over and top with remaining cheese. Pour milk mixture over all. Cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Serve hot.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating15 people
I hope there is enough ink left in my printer. I have been real good about not printing recipes. I am too cheap to buy ink again. It has been saying "low on ink" for awhile now. But here I go, I just gotta print this one. It is going up on the fridge...morelasaf in St. Paul loved it
Yum!High 5!lanabade in Goshen loved it
PEETA!!! u r so funny.. and very witty.. me likes :).. WISCONSIN.. ya we r a bunch of 'cheeseheads'... hahahah HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!! Making for the 'cheeseheads' for 'game Day'...snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!