Oatmeal - Molasses Sandwich BreadFrom chefjeb 9 years ago
- 2 cups warm water (less than 110 degrees) shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups oatmeal (not instant) shopping list
- 1 tbs sugar shopping list
- 2 pks yeast (5 tsp) shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 3 tbs oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup[ molasses shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/3 cup oat bran shopping list
- 1 cupwhole wheat flour shopping list
- 5 - 7 cups bread flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry milk shopping list
How to make it
- Proof yeast in water with sugar
- add dry milk, dissolve
- add oats, salt, oil, molasses, egg, bran, whole wheat flour
- add bread flour a cup at a time until dough forms a ball against side of mixer and pulls away. If by hand, dough should be soft, but not sticky. Add flour slowly until this happens.
- Knead until a golf ball piece can be stretched without tearing.
- Place in greased bowl and cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and divide into half and place each piece in a well greased 9 X 5 X 3 inch bread loaf pan.
- Let rise until top rises just above baking pan rim.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven and bake until top is browned and bottom can be tapped and sounds hollow. Or, insert a thermometer and bread should be 205 to 210 degrees.
- Cool on wire rack and test your willpower and resist tearing a chunk and smearing with butter and pigging out.
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating7 people
I love baking bread and this one is wonderful. You're right it has a great texture and makes beautiful sandwiches. Thanks!chefkimmie in Jackson loved it
this made a great loaf. I don't what fool underrated this, but this is a fantastic bread.cooper in Plano loved it
This deserves a ^5! Great recipe!*wink*pink in USA loved it