Zucchini Boats Stuffed With ShrimpFrom DetroitTokyo 3 years ago
- 2 medium/large zucchinis (about 1lb) shopping list
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled & deveined shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs, divided into 1/2 & 1/4 (I used panko) shopping list
- 1/2 onion, diced shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, diced shopping list
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (I used mini heirloom) shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped shopping list
- 1 + 1/4 tsp dried oregano, divided shopping list
- salt & pepper (to taste) shopping list
- 6 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese shopping list
- 1 egg, separated shopping list
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (to your taste) shopping list
- 1/4 tsp butter shopping list
How to make it
- Soak zucchini in cold water for 20 minutes. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Drain & rinse zucchini well, then drop in boiling water. Allow to return to a boil. Remove zucchini gently from pot after about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions & cook for about 5 minutes (until soft). Then, add garlic and cook for about a minute. Finally add tomatoes, a bit of salt & pepper. Give a good stir & cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Grease the bottom of a shallow baking pan with butter/olive oil/cooking spray.
- Rinse shrimp in cold water. Cut into pea-sized pieces. Put shrimp in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup bread crumbs, vegetable mixture, parsley, basil, 1 tsp oregano, lemon juice, the egg yolk, and salt & pepper (to your taste). Mix well.
- Trim ends of zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out inside (meaty, seedy) part, leaving walls 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Take care not to puncture the walls. Pat insides with paper towel if very moist. Brush insides with egg whites, sprinkle with salt, then add a layer of mozzarella cheese. Pack with filling, heaping to form slight mounds.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining bread crumbs, oregano, and Romano cheese. Top each zucchini boat with this mixture & finally very small pieces of butter (dime size or smaller), about three to each. Place zucchini carefully in pan. Place on uppermost level of oven for about 7 minutes, until it begins to form a light brown crust. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve lukewarm or room temperature.
People Who Like This Dish 20
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!