Baked Greek RiceFrom keni 3 years ago
- 6T butter shopping list
- 2 cups white rice(I used long grain) shopping list
- 5 cups chicken stock shopping list
- juice from 1/2 lemon and 1t zest shopping list
- 2-3 green onions, sliced shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled shopping list
How to make it
- In heavy skillet(I used cast iron), melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add dry rice and stir well to coat all grains of rice with the butter.
- Cook, stirring very often until rice has changed color, slightly... it's losing it's starchy coating, so it'll look a lil less "white", but you aren't trying to brown it.
- Transfer rice to a baking dish and cover with stock.
- Add lemon juice, zest, green onion and salt and pepper.
- Stir together(rice will be sunk on bottom, and that's okay...I wasn't sure it was gonna be, but it was! ;)
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
- Stir then cover and bake another 10-15, until liquid has absorbed.
- Remove from oven and let rest a few minutes, unstirred.
- You can stir to serve, or just leave as is... the top layer of rice will have a lil more texture than usual, but it won't be raw... just slightly crispy, which is what you're after. :)
- Sprinkle with feta at serving.
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating2 people
Looks very good! We had Greek night yesterday, too :)DetroitTokyo in Detroit loved it
I have had the same dish in Bulgaria; this is killer. Great with any meat, or by itself. Thanks for sharing and jogging the memory.hooksc in Zeeland loved it
This is very good! The top didn't really get that crispy but it was wonderful anyway. Will hang on to this one. Thanks, Keni! Sorry my pic isn't that great.. ;-)DetroitTokyo in Detroit loved it