Sourdough StarterFrom frankieanne 3 years ago
How to make it
- Sprinkle yeast over first amount of warm water in medium bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add second amount of warm water, flour and sugar. Beat until smooth. Cover with cheesecloth (I just use a paper towel). Let stand at room temperature for several days (I let mine stand 10 days), stirring two or three times each day. When ready, starter should have a sour smell with small bubbles rising to the surface. The process will take from 5 to 10 days. Turn into jar, cover and refrigerate. I put the cover on the jar, but don’t screw the lid on. Stir your starter with a wooden spoon (wooden only!) every couple of days to incorporate the liquid that will rise to the top. I do it whenever I think about it - not religiously. :)
- To replenish starter: for each 1 cup of starter you use, add 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup water and 1 tsp. sugar. Stir well. Cover loosely. Allow starter to stand at room temperature until bubbly. This should be at least one day. Refrigerate.
- To feed starter: If starter isn’t used on a regular basis, stir in 1 tsp. sugar every 10 days.
- I let my starter sit out of the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after I feed it so it gets nice and bubbly again.
People Who Like This Dish 31
- mommyluvs2cook Santa Fe, TX
- stevek Melbourne, Australia
- Tenshi252 Nowhere, Us
- mandymoore Wiggins, Ms
- fishtrippin Estelline, SD
- mrcooksalot Denver, U.S.A.
- mark555 Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World, KS
- hungrynow Corralitos, CA
- oylander Ottawa, Canada
- deedeec Seattle, WA
- Plus 21 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookfrankieanne Ukiah, California
- Not added to any groups yet!