Ham N' Swiss LoafFrom chuckieb 3 years ago
- 3 1/2 cups All Purpose or bread flour shopping list
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's Quick-Rise instant yeast shopping list
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard shopping list
- 2 tbsp. margarine shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 3 cups chopped cooked ham (about 500g/1 lb.) shopping list
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
How to make it
- Reserve one cup flour. Mix remaining flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl. Heat water, mustard and butter until very warm (125F/50C). Stir warm liquid into dry ingredients. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough that does not stick to the bowl. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- To fill and shape loaf:
- Roll dough into a 15" x 10" rectangle. Place on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle ham, cheese, and dill pickles over the center third of the rectangle. With a sharp knife, make cuts from filling to dough edges at 1: intervals along sides of filling. Alternating sides, fold strips at an angle across the filling.
- Cover, let rise in warm draft-free place until double in size, about 20-40 minutes. Brush loaf with egg. Bake in 375F oven about 35 minutes or until golden brown and piping hot. Remove from sheet to serving plate. Serve warm.