Hoppin' John With Mustard Greens & AndouilleFrom DetroitTokyo 3 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tbsp Dijon or whole grain mustard (creole mustard would be perfect) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/4 tsp thyme (dried) shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/2 cup long grain rice shopping list
- 2 cups cooked black eyed peas (I used one 15oz can drained & rinsed) shopping list
- 3 cups packed mustard greens, chopped - trimmed & cleaned thoroughly shopping list
- 6 oz. Andouille sausage - 2 full sized - diced (I used Trader Joe's chicken variety) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small mixing bowl, whisk, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 6 minutes. Add rice and garlic and toss to coat in oil. Saute for about 2 minutes until rice begins to toast. Add greens and toss. Add stock mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Check after 15 minutes if the rice is tender. If needed add a splash more stock an continue cooking until tender.
- When rice is tender and most of moisture is absorbed, add black eyed peas and stir. Cover and remove from heat.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and saute, stirring often, until browned.
- Serve sausage over rice & beans.