Old Fashioned Meat PieFrom Good4U 1 year ago
- 2 single pie crusts shopping list
- I made a batch of crusts with some left shopping list
- over to freeze. You can use your own recipe shopping list
- or store bought crusts. Just Not sweet crusts. shopping list
- Filling for 1 pie shopping list
- 2 lbs lean ground organic grass-fed beef shopping list
- 1 half a medium onion chopped finely shopping list
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 3 medium sized carrots cleaned and sliced about 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- 3 medium sized potatoes cleaned and cut in chunks shopping list
- Unsalted beef stock or water (you can add salt to your liking then) shopping list
- 2 beef bouillon packages ( low salt if you can find it.) I use Knorr or Oxo. shopping list
- Salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- corn starch as needed to thicken shopping list
- 1 egg and tsp water(optional) for egg wash shopping list
How to make it
- In a large fry pan add the lean ground beef and cook until the meat is browned. I use a wooden spoon to mush it around add the onions and parsley and mix it around with the spoon until the filling is fine with no lumps.. Cover the meat with beef stock and water (or just water) and bring to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add beef bouillon packages and stir in adding pepper and salt to taste. Add the carrots and stir them into the beef mixture. Cover and continue to simmer until carrots are tender. If the liquid has reduced too much add more water to almost cover the mixture. Then add the potatoes and simmer until almost tender. They will continue to cook when in the crust the oven. When all mixed sprinkle corn starch over top and stir to thicken. If it is not thick enough sprinkle a bit more corn starch and stir until it is becoming a thicker constituency. Turn of burner and let the mixture cool while preparing the crust for a 10 inch pie pan. Rolling out the dough on a floured surface and making it the size of the pie pan. Make sure the pie pan is a solid pan like metal or glass this pie is heavy and I don't recommend a foil like pan unless it is supported with something strong.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Carefully put the pie crust in the pan and smooth it out over the surface of the pan. Cut any excess dough off the outer rim of the pie pan. Spoon in the meat mixture into the crust. Put the other crust on top and seal the edges with a fork or crimp the bottom and top crusts together with your hands. Cut off any excess dough off the rim of the pie pan with a knife. Brush the top with egg wash if using. Cut a four or more one inches holes in the top of the pastry with a sharp knife. This will help any steam to escape while cooking. Sometime the juices bubble over you may want to place a try covered with foil in the bottom of the oven to catch any if this happens. Bake in a 350F oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown. You can cut and serve at this point or cool and reheat it later. The remaining pie or pieces of pie when cooled can be wrapped with freezer wrap and frozen. It is always nice to know you have a hearty quick meal ready in the freezer when you need it on lazy days, when in a hurry or when ever . It does take some time to make but pays off big time in the end. Enjoy!
People Who Like This Dish 16
The CookGood4U Perth, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!