Cabbage Strudel With Herbed Sour Cream Sauce (weisskrautstrudel)From hollyeats 1 year ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 250g all-purpose flour shopping list
- 200g cold butter or margarine shopping list
- 250g farmer's cheese (Topfen) or cottage cheese which has been pureed shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- sour cream Sauce: shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1 cup thick Greek yogurt (or use all sour cream, but not all yogurt!) shopping list
- Handful freshly chopped chives and parsley shopping list
- 1/4 tsp, garlic salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp, herbal salt shopping list
- Dried mixed herbs to taste shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 600g finely sliced white (very light green) cabbage shopping list
- 150g bacon, cut in small cubes (you can use ham instead) shopping list
- 1 TBS oil (not olive) shopping list
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, sliced thinly shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, pressed shopping list
- About 2 TBS white granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste shopping list
- ground pepper to taste shopping list
- caraway seed to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp.) shopping list
- Generous pinch of dried summer savory shopping list
- Dash of chopped parsley, if you have it shopping list
How to make it
- First, make the Crust, or dough:
- In a medium bowl, grate the cold butter into the flour using the large holes of a cheese grater. This Austrian trick works great!
- Quickly knead the butter into the flour until bits are coated with flour.
- Then add the creamed cottage cheese and mix well, with your hands, until a sturdy dough forms.
- Place this in the fridge to rest while you make the Filling. (You will need the egg in assembly.)
- Then make the Sauce:
- In small bowl, combine all ingredients well.
- Store in fridge until serving.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the bacon bits in oil until almost crisp.
- Add the onions and garlic and coat with oil, stirring.
- Sprinkle the sugar over this, lower the heat somewhat, and caramelize the onions (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly.
- Add the shredded cabbage and all seasonings, and cook until limp but not soggy, and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Set aside to cool a bit while you roll out the crust.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Flour a flat surface and roll the dough into a large rectangle (eyeball it according to your amount of filling). With this dough you can be generous with more flour if it seems sticky.
- Spoon the somewhat cooled filling along the center of the dough, leaving enough leeway to fold all edges.
- Staring at short ends, fold dough over filling about 1 1/2", sealing well with beaten egg; then fold longer ends over to cover filling completely, again sealing well with egg.
- Place onto a baking sheet and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes before cutting into slabs.
- Serve with Sour Cream Sauce and a green salad.
- Be surprised at how good this tastes!
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookhollyeats Shaftesbury, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!