Simple Spinach CalzonesFrom mommyluvs2cook 10 months ago
- 1 small onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 bunch of spinach chopped, (or one bag) shopping list
- 1/2-1 tsp italian seasoning shopping list
- squeeze fresh lemon juice shopping list
- S&P to taste shopping list
- 1 can of biscuits (not the buttery or flaky kind, just plain ol' biscuits) shopping list
- About 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (use your judgement, just depends on how cheesy you want it) :) shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- flour for dusting shopping list
- rolling pin shopping list
- Your favorite marinara sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Saute onions in olive oil until softened. Add garlic and saute about a minute longer. Stir in the Italian seasoning and lemon juice. Throw in the chopped spinach and cook until wilted. Add S&P to taste.
- Making the calzones:
- Take two biscuits and squish them together and try to form a ball. Lay on a lightly floured surface. Use your rolling pin to roll it out into a flat circle, try to get it pretty thin (You may need to flour your rolling pin or the top of the dough a little so it doesn't stick). I started by making 3 of these, and if there is filling left over you can make a 4th. Lay about 2-3 Tbs of spinach mixture on one side of the dough leaving a little space on the edges.
- Top with each one with cheese. Fold the dough over the filling (making a 1/2 moon shape) and line up the edges. Use the tip of a fork and press down around the open edge to seal. Brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake on greased baking sheet about 15-20 minutes, or until they are a golden brown. If they are not browning well, do as I did and pop them in the broiler for about a minute. Serve heated marinara sauce on the side for dipping!
- *yes you will have biscuits left over from the tube so use them for breakfast in the morning with jelly!*
The Cookmommyluvs2cook Santa Fe, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!