Moms German Lentil SoupFrom gingerlea 9 years ago
- 1 lb. dry lentil beans shopping list
- 1/2 lb. bacon, diced shopping list
- 2 medium onions diced shopping list
- 2 nice carrots diced shopping list
- 2 quarts water shopping list
- 1 cup celery diced shopping list
- salt to taste. I only use Kosher. shopping list
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 large potato pared shopping list
- 1 hame bone or a real nice ham hock shopping list
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and drain lentils
- In large pot fry bacon until crispy
- Add onions and carrots.
- Cook until onions are tender.
- Add lentils, water, celery, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Grate potato into mixture.
- Add ham bone or ham hock.
- Simmer 3 hours then remove bay leaf and bone or hock.
- Cut meat off bone or hock then return to soup and add lemon juice.
- Serve with nice crusty and buttered bread.