Chicago Hot DogFrom oldgringo 8 years ago
- 6 cooked frankfurters shopping list
- 6 warmed hot dog buns shopping list
- 1/3 cup mustard, yellow prepared shopping list
- 1/3 cup pepper, bell green; minced shopping list
- 1/3 cup onion; minced shopping list
- 1/3 cup pickle, relish hot dog shopping list
- 12 thinly sliced tomato wedges shopping list
- 6 dill pickle wedges shopping list
- 6 small whole sweet pickles shopping list
- 12 whole pickled tabasco peppers* shopping list
- 12 thin cucumber slices shopping list
- 2 teaspoons celery salt shopping list
How to make it
- Franks may be boiled, grilled, or fried as you prefer.
- To boil franks bring water in pan to a boil and cook for 5 minutes keeping at a simmer. If water boils too hard or franks cook too long they will rupture.
- To grill put franks on grill near the coals and turn often to prevent over browning.
- To fry franks, heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the franks. Attend and turn the franks constantly until they are nicely browned.
- To make a Chicago Hot Dog, put a frank into a warmed bun. spread mustard down the sides of the frank, add a teaspoon of minced bell pepper, a teaspoon of minced onion, a teaspoon of relish. Wedge 2 tomato wedges down on each side of the frank, then wedge in 2 cucumbers and a dill wedge. Sprinkle the top with some of the celery salt and add tabasco peppers.
- *Note: (Update) What we call tabasco peppers are called "sport" peppers in Chicago. They are the small green peppers usually associated with "Pepper Sauce." When ripened and cured in vinegar, they make the famous "Tabasco Hot Sauce." The little chiles originated in the state of Tabasco, Mexico, and are named for that Mexican state.