Corned beef brine do it yourselfFrom putercop 8 years ago
- 4 quarts dechlorinated water (to dechlorinate city water let stand in an open container for 24 hours.) shopping list
- 1 cup kosher salt or table salt if you prefer shopping list
- 1 teaspoon saltpeter which is potassium nitrate which keeps the meat pink and can be bought at any butcher or restaurant supply house or on the net. You can find it on websites that sell pork and sausage making supplies. Some butchers will recommend an alternative if they don;t have it. Just tell them what you want it for. shopping list
- 2 beef briskets, about 4 pounds each or if you prefer to make one brisket 1/2 the ingredients shopping list
- 12 garlic cloves cracked shopping list
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices shopping list
- 8 bay leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Boil water.
- Add salt and saltpeter, stir to dissolve and set aside to cool completely.
- Place brisket in a large crock, zipper-style plastic bag or other non-metallic container
- Pour salt water over meat and add garlic, pickling spices and bay leaves.
- Meat should be totally submerged; use a weighted jar to hold meat under pickling solution.
- Refrigerate or set in a cool place for 3 weeks.
- Drain and remove bay leaves before cooking.
- Cook using your favorite recipe
The Cookputercop Kerhonkson, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!