Struffoli Italian Christmas PastriesFrom flavorsofitaly 9 years ago
How to make it
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the eggs and zest. Stir until well blended.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Add a little more flour if dough seems sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover with an overturned bowl. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 1/2-inch thick ropes then cut into 1/2-inch nuggets.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil to 370 degrees F. in a wide saucepan or deep fryer.
- Begin adding struffoli in batches into the oil to fit without crowding.
- Cook, stirring occasionally with a slotted spoon, until crisp and brown, about 1 minute.
- Remove the struffoli with the slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- When all the struffoli are fried, gently heat the honey just to a simmer in a wide saucepan.
- Remove the honey from the heat, add the struffoli and coat well.
- Pile the struffoli into a mound on a large platter. Dust with the multicolored sprinkles.
- Best served the day they are made.