Cream Cheese Turtle CakeFrom nlo209 8 years ago
- 1 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted shopping list
- 1 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted shopping list
- 1 18 1/4 oz. box German chocolate cake mix shopping list
- 1/1/4 cups water shopping list
- 1//3 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cut into pieces, room temperature shopping list
- ICING: shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 5 tbsp. milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 cup purchased caramel-flavored topping or dulce de leche topping shopping list
How to make it
- FOR CAKE: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour 13"x9"x2" metal cake pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup pecans over bottom of pan. Combine cake mix, 1 1/4 cups water, oil and eggs in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat at low speed until mixture is moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Gradually stir in powdered sugar (mixture will form clumps) Stir in cream cheese. Whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour cream cheese mixture in large ribbons atop cake batter in pan. Using knife, swirl mixture into batter (do not overmix)
- Bake cake until tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes (bottom of cake will be very moist). Cool cake in pan on rack. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup pecans over cake.
- FOR ICING: Mix sugar and cocoa in medium bowl. Bring milk and butter to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium -low; add powdered sugar mixture and whisk until melted. Add chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Drizzle warm icing over cake let stand until set, about 2 hours. Drizzle caramel topping over.