Silver CleanerFrom pointsevenout 9 years ago
How to make it
- Remove Tarnish from Silver
- Tired of having to polish the good silverware every time you pull it out? Then, ditch the polish, and try this simple hands-off remedy:
- Place a piece of aluminum foil at the bottom of your kitchen sink, and fill the basin with water. Then, sprinkle in two tablespoons of table salt; and drop your silver pieces into the water. Allow your silver to soak for 2-3 minutes; then, remove and rinse. The tarnish will be gone!
- Note: Badly tarnished silver may need to be soaked a second time.
- Why This Works
- When salt, aluminum foil and water are combined they create a chemical reaction known as ion exchange. During this process, the tarnish on the silver is transferred to the foil. In fact, if your silver is tarnished enough, you'll actually see brown tarnish on the aluminum foil.
- For tougher tarnish; double the salt and disolve 1 to 2 cups of baking soda in boiling water and repeat soaking process for 5 to 10 minutes. As much of the silver as possible should be in contact with the aluminum foil.
The Cookpointsevenout Athens, AL
The Rating10 people
Wow! Great recipe!!! Gonna use this for sureliezel in Bloemfontein loved it
Does work well -- had forgotten about this one! Thanks, PointsEvenOut :)kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
Perfect! Thank you, it's Silver time for me and I would rather do this than the smelly polishes! *smile*pink in USA loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!