A twist on Nanaimo squaresFrom ahmed1 9 years ago
- Bottom Layer: shopping list
- 113 grams unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa.+ extra for dusting. shopping list
- 1 large egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups (200 grams) graham cracker crumbs (I used digestive crumbs) shopping list
- 1 cup (65 grams) coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened) shopping list
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped shopping list
- FILLING: shopping list
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk or cream (I used heavy cream) shopping list
- 2 tbsp vanilla pudding powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups (230 grams) powdered sugar. shopping list
- TOPPING: shopping list
- 4 ounces (115 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter shopping list
- ¼ cup chocolate drink shopping list
How to make it
- Butter a (23 x 23 cm) pan.
- Bottom layer:
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 - 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
- In your electric mixer cream the butter. Beat in the remaining ingredients. If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk. Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
- Top layer:
- In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Spread over the filling and refrigerate.
- To serve:
- Dust the entire surface with chocolate drink. To prevent the chocolate from cracking, using a sharp knife, bring the squares to room temperature before cutting. Makes about 25 squares
The Cookahmed1 Cairo, EG
The Rating8 people
No comments, you know how I feel about your sweets.ivy in Whereabouts loved it
you'll kill me man!;)with these superb sweets!thanks!
"Children loved it so much!!" whose? yours?chezzane in loved it
another winner!iffyo in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!